Tuesday, February 1, 2011

View From The Bridge 2/2/11

“VIEW from the BRIDGE”
By Muncie
2/2/11

PERFORMING ARTS CONSORTIUM
I was fortunate to attend the Consortium on January 29th at the Civic Center in Great Falls. Randy Morger, who is on the Chouteau County Performing Arts Board, transported me to Great Falls at 7:30 in the morning. It was a 13-hour day and I have never seen a day pass by so quickly.

There were 17 showcases and in the next few months, 6 of those will be chosen to perform here in Fort Benton for the next Chouteau County Performing Arts program for 2011 and 2012. Even if you do not like some of the performances that C.C.P.A. chooses, support it anyway. Seasons tickets are so reasonable for the quality of shows you will see. There are always descriptions of the artists in the River Press for you to know what kind of entertainment to expect. Say for instance that you only like Country music, or only Classical, or only Jazz/Blues. You can select the shows that you would like to see and still have a bargain if you have purchased a season ticket.

The next production is The Singing Sons of Beaches and they show cased here in Fort Benton last January when the Consortium was held here. If you are ready for an evening of hilarity, a laugh a minute, dancing and socializing, be at the Montana Agricultural Center on February 25th. It is also “Pub Night” and that is the most popular of the C.C.P.A. evenings.

Check out the front page of the Montana section of the Great Falls Tribune for Sunday the 30th to read our own Connie Jenkins interview about the Consortium. One of her comments was, “It’s such a privilege to get such professionals like that, (those we saw on Saturday,) to come to our small community.” The rest of the interview is equally as interesting. The article is a revelation to the behind the scenes’ planning that goes into the Arts program. Give them support, support and more support.

FAR AWAY PLACES
A few weeks ago, I asked how far away the River Press traveled. Joan Albers waved to me at the Golden Age Senior Center Pie Day and gave me the address of Joe Albers. He lives in Deerfield Beach, Florida and is a subscriber of our great River Press.

I checked out Deerfield Beach in my Atlas, (sounds like it belongs in Montana,) and found it is located just north of Fort Lauderdale. It is indeed a beach on the Atlantic side of Florida. It looks like a winner of how far the River Press goes and unless I hear differently, I am telling Joe that his winning prize is his name in this column. That ought to make his day. Does it Joe? Let me know.

VETERANS PHOTOS
I have not been able to put in my time at the Overholser Research Center for several weeks now due to family commitments. In the meantime, about a dozen more pictures have been turned in. In addition, several bios have been forthcoming.

It is not too late. I have received several phone calls asking if the project was still on going. Yes, it is. Photos will always be welcome as children and grandchildren of Veterans find them, perhaps hiding in an old photo book. There will always be room to hang pictures so keep them coming.

A few reminders I would like to repeat. I would like 5 x 7 black and white, or colored photo, a simple black 5 x 7 frame if possible, a bio of their service experience, your name, address and phone number. If you are mailing the photo and it is impossible to mail a frame…I have purchased about 75 frames (they are hard to come by,) at the $ Store. Do not hesitate because you do not have a frame.

This is a project of love. I am old enough to remember WWII very well. I remember the small sacrifices that we at home had to endure. We had food stamps; sugar, butter, and coffee were scarce. We recycled aluminum (including gum wrappers,) metal cans (we had to remove the labels, both ends and crush them,) and newspapers. We bought War Bond Stamps at school every Friday until we had enough money for a bond. Most of our friends had brothers and sisters in the Service. However, all of these small things were nothing compared to those who were doing the fighting. We were “The Greatest Generation,” and so proud of it. Always thank them because if it were not for them, you might be speaking another language.

RECYCLING
One of my Syntax Sinner’s Group, (alias Writers Group,) Dusty Kuehner forwarded the following to me this past week. “Recycling Facts & Tips. Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 17 mature trees, 7,000 gallons of water, 3 cubic yards of landfill space, 2 barrels of oil, and 4,100 kilowatt-hours of electricity – enough to power the average American home for five months.” Makes you think doesn’t it.

In addition, this past week I unloaded metal cans, newspapers, magazines, and cardboard at Pacific Recycling in Great Falls. I found a couple of months ago that I could take all of these items there and they would unload them for me. I did not have to go looking for bins around town to dispose of them. I do not receive nor do I expect to, any money for these items. They do pay for aluminum but I donate mine elsewhere.

I did however find that they pay ½ a cent a lb. for newspaper. It was the first time they asked me if I wanted the money or did I want to donate it to a school. I do not know how much money I had coming but I donated it to the Fort Benton Elementary School. They take care of the bookwork. If you were dumping your papers at Sam’s Club or in front of Albertson’s on the By-Pass, it would be just as easy to take it to Pacific.

Since Pacific has never before asked me about money for newspapers I am wondering if newspapers have been paid for previously, discontinued, and brought back again. If anyone knows please let me know. Did newspaper bring a larger amount of cash at another time? Would this be a project for some organization to donate the cash for schools? Think about it.

LABELS FOR EDUCATION
I was given more information about these labels then I could put in this weeks “View.” Therefore, please look for another article titled Labels for Education. Read it carefully because there are some deadlines.

SO LONG FOR NOW
Remember how I told you last week to enjoy the warm weather. Unbelievable that we have about 5 to 6 inches of snow that fell today (Sunday) and it will be way below zero tonight and tomorrow night. A warming trend is promised for Wednesday if you consider 30 degrees a warming trend. Well, try to keep warm. Do not go outside unless it is an emergency.

God bless all those in the Service of our Country. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

No comments:

Post a Comment