Tuesday, November 8, 2011

View From The Bridge 11/9/2011

“VIEW from the BRIDGE”
By Muncie
11-9-11

VETERAN’S PHOTOS
I do not know exactly how to write this but can only say that best laid plans are not always the way you expect them to be. Dottie Meehan gave me some very sound advice, Sunday morning, on our way to Geraldine for the Harvest Dinner at the Catholic Church. She said that when you plan a deadline, “you should add on three times more time than you planned on.” I asked her why she did not pass this on to me years ago.

I, once again, do not think that I am going to reach my deadline by next Friday 11/11/11 Veterans Day. Mary Zanto and I only were able to get half the labels onto the framed pictures last Tuesday. No problem, (I think.) We can probably finish on Tuesday of this week. Then, perhaps we can get those pictures labeled and added to the list of those photos that will be taken to the Sunrise Bluffs for hanging.

The picture hanging today, Sunday afternoon, went exceptionally well. Three women came to my rescue at almost the last minute. Karla Ayers, Wanda Diekhans, and Diane Jones were able to play “Experienced Picture Hangers,” late Sunday afternoon. There were approximately 75 photos to hang and the job was completed in a little over an hour.

If you have the opportunity to go to the Bluffs on Friday, Veterans Day, and the photo you turned in is not there, the label has the wrong information, it is hanging in the wrong war, or any other corrections…please write in the notebook near-by. Would you please leave your name and phone number with the correction. We will make corrections as soon as possible.

We did the best we could, however with the photos going to four different drop-off points, there were bound to be problems. Remember, the folks who turned photos to me were asked for their name and phone number. It was my error that I neglected to tell the other three drop-off points to do the same. My excuse…nobody is perfect and I admit I fall far below standard.

SADIE’S FORT BENTON RESALE STORE
I stopped in the shop to visit with Vi Cameron, the new energetic entrepreneur of the Thrift Store. She had decided to name the store after her mother, Sadie. It is a very memorable sentiment. Vi proudly took me outside to see the new signs that had just been hung. There are two signs…one with “Sadie’s” on it and the other with “Fort Benton Thrift Store.” Take notice when you go in to visit Vi.

Vi is still sorting, arranging, and rearranging. I have dubbed her Mrs. Clean. She told me a humorous story about going through the inventory and finding items that she thinks will never sell. The day I visited, she sold a “Cement Brick Maker” to a female buyer. I wonder if the woman will ever use it or like myself, think I am going to use it.

Vi has a beautiful size 8 wedding dress that she had dry cleaned and it is ready for the ceremony. Vi is going to rent the dress that would save a great deal of wedding expense. You could purchase a wedding dress and keep it stored for years. When your daughters or even granddaughters are ready for the big moment in their lives…will they really wear your wedding dress? I am not saying it will not happen but rarely. In this economy why not save a great deal of money and rent. Actually, don’t the men in the wedding party always rent their suits? There are not many events going on in Montana that a man wears a tuxedo. Rent is the way to go.

Vi has a great deal going on for the month of November. A bag of clothes goes for a $1.00. There are some great buys in that department as Vi has sorted and organized for easy picking.

Drop in and visit Vi and give her support. I found several treasures there and one was a birthday present. The recipient said that it was the best present he had ever received. I do not want to mention names so if you want to know, “the rest of the story,” ask me the next time you see me.

The new store hours are Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Drop off times are the same.

HARVEST DINNER
I mentioned earlier than we went to the Harvest Dinner at the Catholic Church in Geraldine. We joined many friends from Fort Benton and Geraldine. We enjoyed a wonderful ham dinner with all the trimmings. There was also a silent auction with great-donated prizes and a raffle with many donated prizes mostly from businesses in the area.

It is good will to thank those who donated as you shop at their businesses. Be sure to do that when you see them next.

TRINDLE FUND RAISER
On Saturday will be a fundraiser for Joan Trindle. Mounting medical bills are bad enough when you do not have a serious illness. When you have a serious illness, it can be catastrophic. The Trindles have been an intricate part of our community for many years. Her husband, Pat, is a well known local veterinarian.

There was an article in last weeks River Press about their daughter Molly and her career in music. She has many musical awards and I know that her parents must be bursting with pride.

I know Vera Conrod, (Joan’s mother.) very well. She was my neighbor across the street, for a long time. She is also in the exercise class that we attend every Monday and Wednesday morning. I know that Vera moved to Fort Benton to be near Joan and her family.

Our Fort Benton Community sends our best wishes for Joan’s full recovery and some relief of those medical expenses. The Trindle family is so grateful for all the kindness of our community. They think about the caring that went into all those meals that were delivered to their home. There is no place like a small town to live in for that very reason.

PARAPROSDOKIAN
Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says, “In case of emergency, notify.” I put “DOCTOR.”

SO LONG FOR NOW
The heavy winter coats came out of the closet a few days ago. The yard was completely winterized and the water to the hoses drained and turned off. The snow shovels came up to the garage from the shed and the furnace is running all day. We turn down at night about 5 degrees and it sure is cold in the house in the mornings.

I did not get the Halloween lights taken down outside so I hope that we have some sort of a break so I can get that done. I will put up the Christmas lights at the same time. I usually put up the Christmas lights sometime during those nice September and October days. However, I did not have Halloween lights before this year that were outside lights.

The good news is that in 6 weeks the days start getting longer. That is something to look forward to. In 2 weeks, it will be Thanksgiving and in 4 weeks, I can start thinking about Christmas. I am going to ask for a secretary for Christmas. I cannot get it together anymore.

GOD BLESS AMERICA…GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS…BUY AMERICAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment