Tuesday, March 19, 2013

“VIEW from the BRIDGE”
By Muncie
3/20/13

SPRING
We used to say when we were kids, “Spring has sprung. The grass is riz.  I wonder where the birdies is.”  I do not know where that came from.  I looked it up in my “Other Curious Sayings” book thinking there might be something there to explain the saying  There was not a reference.  In the meanwhile, welcome to Spring and I have many birdies in my yard. We wait for the stats how what kind of winter Montana endured.  The weatherman had predicted 4” of snow for today.  NOT YET!  As I look out my kitchen window, I do see sunshine, blue sky, and white clouds in the southeast sky however there are very dark clouds in the northeast.  The sun keeps going in and out.  I would like to second-guess those weather predictors, say they are wrong, and just wait to see if that snow is actually coming.

Another sign of spring is my order of daffodils was delivered to my door this morning.  By this evening, the buds will begin to open and by tomorrow morning, they will be in full bloom.  They are so beautiful and one cannot gaze at them without thinking about spring and new beginnings.  (I just checked, it is 3:00 pm and they are already starting to open up.  It was 3 hours ago when they were delivered.  Love those daffodils.) 
  
CHAMBER DINNER
The Chamber Dinner last Thursday was all about awarding plaques for three categories of service to the community.  Betty Cook was the citizen who had promoted Fort Benton by her work at the Ag Museum, the Village, inventorying for years at the Ag, and as a guide at both Museums and the Fort.  She recently retired because of health reasons.

A second plaque was awarded to the Chouteau County Cancer Support Group for their work in the community.  If your family has been invaded by cancer, then you know what I am talking about.  The Cancer Group is right there with material and financial support.  Just the support of this group, who has all experienced cancer survivor volunteers, would be enough to support a family through the process of finding that you/one of your family has cancer.  In a few moments, your whole life takes a complete turn around.  Go Chouteau County Cancer Support Group and God bless you.

The third award for business of the year went to The River Press.  It is well- deserved although; I know I am biased and slanted in that direction.  Our local newspaper informs us so well about the local news and happenings.  It covers old history and the new.  It is great reading and if you read every article, you are well informed.  Go River Press.
  
The program also was about the Recycling Program.  Karen, Shannon, and Elinor gave power point presentations that concern the whys and wherefores of the pilot program.  Even though I am on the committee, I learned things I have not heard before.  (Please spread the word as well as cooperating with this program.)

RECYCLING
Last Saturday, the Committee reported that 19 people came to the Fairgrounds with their recyclables.  There was a great deal of cardboard and I will let you know next week the weight. They will not have a report of how much was collected until they make their trips to Pacific.

Last week I told you that Sandra Boggs had contacted me about the electrical appliance recycling again this year.  The Recycle Committee had planned to work with that program on Cleanup Day in April.  However, the man who works that program was already booked up for the last week in April.  They are trying to work out a solution for the first weekend of May.  If you were planning on that program, as I am, do not be discouraged.  They will be in Fort Benton but we are not sure as to when that will be.

“WHAT LOVES MEANS”
17.     “I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones.”  Lauren – age 4 (from Muncie…”wait until they are teen-agers.  Lauren won’t think it is so great then.”)
18.     “When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.  (What an image from Karen – age 7.)

GOD BLESS AMERICA and OUR TROOPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment