Tuesday, October 1, 2013

View From The Bridge 10/2/13

“VIEW from the BRIDGE”
By Muncie
10/2/13

RECYCLING
There will be volunteers at the Dedman Foundation on Wednesday the 2nd of October contrary to other information.  They hope that this information gets to you when you pick up your River Press early on Wednesday.  There are plans in the works to possibly move the collection area for the colder months.  They will keep in touch.  Keep up the great work of recycling for the much needed contributions.  THINK GREEN.

LEVEE TRAIL
I walked the new Levee Trail this past week.  What a great time I had in the midst of a Mother Nature’s nest.  It is truly a nature trail and I walked on a carpet of fallen yellow leaves.  I did not measure but I think that the trail is 10 ft. wide and it is gravel.  It winds around into a loop at an area under Signal Point.  Another thrill was viewing Signal Point from Missouri River level.  I wish I had my camera because it would have been a prize winning photo.  There were white fluffy clouds and the bluest sky I have seen for a while.  It framed the Point so beautifully that it made my heart beat faster.

There were human footprints but they were far out-numbered by the deer tracks.  We often take a ride along the road beyond Signal Point and almost always saw deer.  It is a heavenly haven for them and the brush to hide, sleep, or whatever it is they do during the day.  I imagine that it is also a great maternity ward in the spring.

I am looking forward to next spring to see if there are wild flowers blooming.  It is also a great picnic area and I am sure that there will be picnic tables there next spring.  So about another half mile is added to the already 2 1/3 miles of trail.  That is a good workout for those of you who walk and jog the trail.  Thank you again to those responsible.  The next question is, where do we go from here?  Only finances and time will tell. 

C.C.P.A.
Jason is not only the best pianist but he is a comedian as well.  He had the audience laughing much of the time especially when he sat down next to the tiny piano.  The youngsters that attended seemed to enjoy that best.  We had a family of four children sitting in front of us and we enjoyed their reaction to the show

The next show on Friday October 25th and it is Pub Night.  The High Street Band will be entertaining so get out your dancing shoes and show us all you learned from those dancing lessons.  It has been a while since we have had dancing at all in Fort Benton and now is your chance to enjoy an evening of it. 

Checking on the attendance, I found that there were over 200 attendees and 45 of them were children.  The committee felt that letting the youngsters in free was a splendid idea.  They really appreciate your attendance and continuing support.  GO MUSICALLY.

WM. STENSGARD STORY
I have grown to love the memory of this young man.  I am receiving many stories about him and what a good boy he was.  I’m sure there are many of you who can relate to the short life he was granted.  You probably have sons that would be his age now.  I do.

I will get on with the latest story from Jo Sorkness, (a former Fort Benton teacher who now lives in Philadelphia, PA.)  “Billy was in my fifth grade class.  The youngsters were at their seats doing some creative writing, but could come up to my desk for help.  Billy came up to me and said, “How do you spell pertmer?”  I said, “Do you mean partner?”  “No, I mean pertner.”  I asked Billy to use it in a sentence.  His reply, “I pertner fell in the creek.”  I told him the actual words were, “pretty nearly,” but he could also say “almost.”

Jo went on to say that Billy was a cute blond boy—nice kid.  That was the largest fifth grade she ever taught.  It started with 40 boys and girls in desks from wall to wall.  After a bit it whtn down to 37, but stayed there the rest of the year.  She had help from high school girls and for correcting some papers, but she did all the mass teaching.  The kids were great, I can’t recall a big discipline problem.

Are there any readers out there who were in that 5th grade class with Billy, or high school girls who helped correct papers? I would like to hear from you.  My phone number is in the book.  Please call after 2:00 p.m.. 

INVENTORY SALE
On Saturday past, all hands that work at the Museums were on hand at the Museum of the Upper Missouri or MUM as they like to call it.  They work diligently to put together an inventory sale of items that needed to be replaced with new inventory.  The weather cooperated and the sale was held outside the MUM.  It went very well and they are planning another sale at Chouteau County Christmas. 

I purchased a dozen beautiful gifts and wish now that I had more of a certain item that was a real treasure.  Perhaps there will be some left for the CCC day.  I will not tell you what it was because you will all want one.  I can hardly wait. 

MT TRIVIA
Did you find the answer for last week’s trivia question?  It was at the bottom of the page.  It will be the same this week.

This week’s trivia question is about geography.  Q.  A volcanic explosion in Yellowstone two million years ago was how large, when compared to Mount St. Helens?  (Answer at the bottom of the page, in case you forgot.)

GOD BLESS AMERICAN, OUR TROOPS and WEAR RED ON FRIDAYS.


A.  2,500 times bigger than the Mount St. Helens blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment