Tuesday, August 25, 2015

View From The Bridge 8/26/15

VIEW from the BRIDGE
8/26/15

MORE FAIR
There was so much more about the Chouteau County Fair that I did not get to last week.  If I leave anyone out, I am sorry. Much of the attendance numbers were covered by Shirley Embelton. It looks and sounds as if there will be more involvement next year. I certainly hope that is so. I have always had many memories and this year I have more. I met dear friends at the 4-H building for breakfast every time I ate, friends and neighbors would stop to visit. I went through the exhibits with a longtime friend. It was a great time for me and I would like to hear your memories.

The School Exhibits was spectacular this year. I wonder how many hours it took to set them all up. Each grade from all the schools around the County contributed. There were some very artistic pieces and talented artists whose work we can look forward to seeing their future development.

Did you see the display about WWII? These youngsters are not forgetting “The Greatest Generation.” Thank you for that.

Although the Fair does not have a carnival any longer, I observed that the Kiddos were having a great time jumping up and down on those bouncy things. (I do not know what to call them.) Diving off and landing on a cushioned area made me shiver. (I also watched them at Summer Celebration.) The individuals who do that must also like diving out of airplanes and rock climbing to name a few daring feats. I wonder if I would have done that when I was young.

The Food Concessions were 5-Star Fair Food. I have always loved the Fair because I used to say that it was one time, and include Summer Celebration, that I could eat all the junk food I wanted. Not so! I take all that back because I ate some terrific meals, quickly served and very appetizing. I ate well for three days.

Another event I really enjoyed was the “Mini Cars.” What a blast that was. It equaled in enjoyment like the Kiddos that wrestle the pigs. Kudos to all you youngsters who participated. You are so much fun. I hope you are back next year.

Most likely during the coming week I will think of someone or something that I forgot to mention. If you see me out and about, I would like it if you told me what you enjoyed and if there was something you saw that I didn’t.

KEN or DEER-FEST?
On Thursday last, Ken Robison, our local author and historian, gave a talk at the Missouri Breaks Interpretive Center on the Mullen Road. It was at the same time as the meeting at the City Hall concerning the deer. Ken dubbed it the Deer-Fest when he greeted us as we arrived at the Center.

Ken’s program was about an hour long and I drove on Front Street for two reasons. I was taking Marge W. back to the Sunrise Bluffs and I wanted to see if there were any vehicles at the City Hall. No there were not and the building was dark. On the way to the Bluffs on Front St. a deer ran across the street. It was alone and as usual it stood on the lawn and stared at us. I’ll have to wait for the River Press to see what took place at the Deer-Fest.

SCHOOL STARTS
I cannot believe that the summer has gone so quickly. I can now return to walking at the High School about 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and on Friday at 3:00 p.m. because of early out. It will seem strange because of the absence of vehicles parked around the school all summer.

I see by the Community Calendar that the Girls Volleyball and the Boys Football game are played on the same day. It must be difficult for the parents that have students playing on both teams. I know this has always been a problem and I am happy that I do not have to make those choices.

I have good thoughts for all the teams. I do watch a lot of Hallmark movies and they have many about schools, teachers, football, and basketball. Of course because it is a movie, the teams always win. They do emphasize it is not the winning but the effort put into the contest. All you can do is your best effort and enjoy what you are doing. We love the Longhorns and we are happy that we have a football team again. I saw the team on the 5:30 p.m. local news the other night and Coach Skip Ross said that the team is inexperienced. We realize that and we are behind you all the way. Go Horns!

AROUND TOWN
The Farmers Market is going well. It has been hot most Thursdays and so I rush over and rush home to watch the 5:00 p.m. World News. It looks as though there is good attendance and I’ll report next week when it will end.

HELP
I still need help with my Veterans Photo Program. I asked a few weeks ago in this column but have not received a response. I realize that everyone is busy and next month all the organizations will begin their meetings.
I only need a couple of days help. When the program began, I said that it was never ending. I have changed my mind and after I finish with the 5 or 6 photos that I have to do, it will be the end of the program.

I am excited about two research projects that I am working on and my Adopted Plot. Those projects and doing the View keep my life interesting and make me more aware of how precious friends are.

50's HOME SCHOOLED
My mother taught me about ENVY. “There are millions of children in the world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do.”

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, OUR POLICE FORCES, and WEAR RED ON FRIDAY (please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment