Tuesday, August 1, 2017

View From The Bridge 8/2/17

VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE
By Muncie
8/2/17

AUGUST MOON
The Full Sturgeon Moon is the name that the fishing tribes gave the August Moon because the sturgeon were in abundance in the Great Lakes and other large bodies of water. Other names were the Green Corn Moon, the Grain Moon, and the Full Red Moon. During this month when the moon rose through a sultry haze it seemed to be red.

The full moon this month will be on Monday the 7th.  Enjoy!

THE CHERRIES ARE COMING
Yes, the Good Earth Orchards will be coming across the mountains to satisfy our need for the freshly picked Bing Cherries. The orchards owned by the Young family are the same orchard that has come for many years to Fort Benton. They are located out of Big Fork and come to Fort Benton because they have relatives living here. They will be joining the other vendors at the Farmers Market in the Old Fort Park.

It will be an exciting Thursday with the Shakespeare in the Park, the Taste of Chouteau County, the Farmers Market, and the 4-H Western Heritage Conference. The best kept secret town of Fort Benton will be in the lime-light again. We did get coverage for Summer Celebration and although there will not be quite the number of Visitors…it will be a busy time.’

PEOPLE OF CHOUTEAU COUNTY
Hey Dominic, I am really enjoying your stories about people of Chouteau County. I would like to use the term “People of Interest” but that is a crime phrase. I will call them “Interesting People” and continue to enjoy their stories.  Everyone has a story and I like to hear them.

I happen to know Henry and his beautiful wife Val. Henry likes to keep busy and he joined the Lions Club as soon as he moved to town. He is a tireless worker and has a fresh new approach to everything. He does have an engineer’s eye for all problems. He and Val are valuable additions to our town.

All around town comments are that no one believes that Henry looks anything like a motorcycle rider. Go Henry!

FOR YOUR CALENDAR
On Wednesday, August 16th at 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., there will be an ICE CREAM SOCIAL. What a nice break in the middle of the week and from the heat we have been experiencing, (but I won’t dwell on it.) Actually, I have heard about snow in August and you never know what Mother Nature has in mind.

So gather together your selves, your children, your grandchildren and come to the Golden Age Senior Center for some socializing. The cost is minimal at $1.00 a scoop, .50 cents for banana slices, and toppings are free. I know what I want to order and I wish it were today.

This event is one of the few fund raisers that the Golden Age holds each year.  Please support them as the members are tireless volunteers and seniors at that. It is more and more difficult to move around quickly as you grow older but somehow these volunteers have side stepped it. I wish I could keep up with them. Go Golden Age. (I will remind you again next week.)

Pie Day is a little over a month away and I am looking forward to it. Also the Tuesday night dinners will begin and those are a great night out for me. The only problem is that I leave at 4:45 p.m. for dinner at 5:00 p.m. and I am home by 6:15 p.m. at the latest. So much for a night out. (Carol, I am teasing you. You do such a great job setting the table with themes and hustling up the entertainment. Thanks and keep up the good work.)

COUNTY FAIR
Plans are in full swing and the grounds being tidied up. I know how much work it takes to get prepared and I want those responsible to know how proud I am of the condition of the Fair grounds. “See you in Fort Benton, Benton. See you at the Fair. Don’t tell me the lights are shining anywhere but there.”

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, THOSE WHO PROTECT US, WEAR RED ON FRIDAYS, PUT A GREEN BULB IN YOUR PORCH LIGHT, AND FLY THE AMERICAN FLAG EVERY DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment