Tuesday, April 2, 2019

View From The Bridge 4/3/19

VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE
By Muncie
4/3/19

APRIL MOON
This is the Full Pink Moon. The name came from the herb moss pink or wild ground phlox which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names for this month’s celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Full Egg Moon, and among the tribes The Full Fish (or Shad) Moon because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn. (I personally like the Full Pink Moon. I’ll bet that all those who fish like the Full Fish Moon best.) The full moon is on Friday the 19th.

I hope that you saw the most beautiful full moon last month. It was a beautiful clear night when I received a phone call about 7:00 p.m. that the moon had just come up. I did not see it until 11:00 p.m. because it has to work its way over the bluffs and homes that block an early view.

VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE
It has been exactly 10 years since I began writing the VIEW every week. Previously I wrote only when the Visitors Center opened in May until it closed in September.

My friends Connie Jenkins and Sharalee Smith with step-son Randy Morger attended the Governor’s Conference on Tourism. They met with Arnie Fishbaugh who was the Executive Director of The Montana Arts Council. They wanted in some way to spread the “Joys of Fort Benton” to the world. They decided that I should write every week and Sharalee put me on the Fort Benton website. I cannot believe that was 10 years ago. There were several times that I took a “time out.” Some of those times were when I returned to Michigan to be with my sister during her battle with cancer, family illnesses, and when I had my knee replacement. Some day when I have some spare time, I will check back to see just how many weeks I had under my belt.

In June I will have another mark on my calendar because it will be 20 years since I began the View with a small paragraph in the River Press announcing it.

So, the years have flown by and there is so much water under the bridge. They have been wonderful and happy years for me. I am so thankful that circumstances brought me to Montana which I know is the best place on earth.

SHONKIN REUNION
The Upper and Lower Shonkin Class/Friends/Everybody Reunion is being held on Sunday June 30th from 4:00 p.m. to 8:0o p.m. or later.

Meat dishes and drinks will be provided. Pot luck dishes are welcome.

More information will be coming in the weeks ahead that will include R.S.V.P. phone numbers and questions. Put this on your calendar now to plan for this event.

FORT BENTON BUS RIDE
I took a ride around the Fort Benton route on the Community Bus   a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. I had an appointment at 11:30 and was on time for that. I was picked up an hour later and taken to the MRMC to visit a friend who was in the hospital. I was again picked up an hour later and arrived back at my apartment a happy camper. It is such a nice feeling to have someone else do the driving. If ever I become very rich, the first thing I will do is hire a personal driver. To me that would be ultimate luxury. It was also a blessing not to ride on my GoGo. Those rides are absolutely too bumpy except for the newly redone portion on River Drive between the circle and the Sunrise Bluffs. It is so smooth and easy to travel.

I would like here to thank all the drivers in town who are so considerate of me and my scooter. At corners you let me pass and you always wave to me. Please remember that I cannot often see who you are as you go by me. It is so wonderful to be able to get around town on my GoGo and know that you are all watching out for me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I am so grateful for this Fort Benton and Great Falls Community Bus ride. A lot of work went into getting this project started and my sincere thank you to all those who worked on it. You deserve Angel medals and you are angels for the volunteering that you do.

So, to all of you who were voicing requests that Fort Benton needs bus service…take advantage of these trips. Do not let it go away because of empty buses. 

ACCORDION BAND
Please make an effort to come to Sunrise Bluffs on Sunday, April 7th to spend a pleasant few hours listening to the Accordion Band that are coming from Great Falls to entertain us.

Be at the Bluffs shortly before 1:00 p.m. There will be snacks and something to drink for your pleasure. Perhaps you would like to have dinner with the band. Please call in a reservation if you would like to do that. They will have a place all set up for you and it is a reasonable price. (Ladies the bonus is no cooking or having to do dishes. That sure sounds good to me.) For those of you who like to dance, be our guests. We love watching you. See you there.

CHOUTEAU COUNTY PERFORMING ARTS
This performance will be next Monday the 8th at 7:00 p.m. at the Elementary School. The O Sole Trio from New York City has taken the world by storm. They have been together since 2012 when they got together from all parts of the country.

We loved them at Consortium that was held in Fort Benton in January of 2018 and all that attended that event said they must return for a full show.

They will be here next Monday so be sure that you are too. I know there is a conflict of events that evening so please make O Sole Trio. 

AUTHOR SUSANNA
Susanna will be visiting Fort Benton again with her book that has now been published. She was here several years ago and she has kept in touch with me by e-mail.

Please read the article about her by Connelly in this weeks River Press. She will be at the Chouteau County Library at 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. next Monday evening for a book reading.

I am looking forward to seeing Susanna again and we are having lunch at the Club House at noon if you would like to join us.

I enjoy writer’s company because I would like some of their talent to rub off on me. I never had the desire to write a book because I do not have the imagination they must have. Make your plans to attend.

LOMA FLEA MARKET
I’ll see you on Saturday April 6th in our sister city, Loma, for the 48th Annual Flea Market. It begins at 9:00 a.m. and runs until 4:00 p.m.

I have not heard from anyone about the history of the market or if anyone is still around that was here 47 years ago. It must have been a success because it is still around.

Come on up to Loma to support our friends there. I am sure that there will always be something there to add to your furnishings or collections. Enjoy a wonderful lunch. I look forward to those Indian Tacos that Chandee provides for us. So, see you there!

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, POLICE OFFICERS, VOLUNTEER FIREMEN and WOMEN, AND EMT’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment