Wednesday, November 6, 2019

View From The Bridge 11/6/19

VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE
By Muncie
11/6/19

NOVEMBER
Oops again! I forgot to put the date of the full moon in last week’s View. It is Tuesday the 12th.

The month of November means Veterans Day to me. Veterans Day is actually always the 11th of November, (do you know why?) and it will be honored by an event at the Veterans Way triangle at 11:00 a.m.

A portion of the Walkway will be in place, according to plans. However, the weather has much-to-do about those plans. Afterward there will be a luncheon at the Club House.

 I hope that you always thank a Veteran for his or her service. There will be little coverage for WWII Veterans because most of them are gone. We should see many younger Veterans from the wars since then. They deserve so much more than they get.

Those younger Vets were volunteers to the Armed Forces. They were not drafted as they were in WWII. Todays’ Vets chose to serve their country knowing what a sacrifice they were making.

If you have had a loved one in the Service of the United States of America at any time…please show up at the ceremony planned for Veterans Day.

Of course, everyone is invited to attend and it would be wonderful if the crowd was so large that it extended into the street. Make it happen this year in Fort Benton, Montana…the first best place. See you there!

LONG, COLD, WINTER     
Did you remember to change your clocks for Sunday morning? It was light when I woke up at 8:00 a.m. I am writing this on Sunday and late this afternoon it will be dark by 5:00 p.m. or 5:30. Since it is a dark, dreary day it may even be a bit earlier. Woe is me! My cabin fever is raging and I do not see a cure in sight. Oh well, I have Thanksgiving to look forward to.

My favorite book for a long while has been “Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett. My oldest son, Johnny, sent me the DVD’s for my birthday and I have saved them to watch in just this kind of weather. It will take care of the 16 hours of darkness we will have for the next few months. I know that I am sounding negative but I am actually hoping to get caught up on a few things I had put off during those nice warm long summer days that I could get out and about t.

Do you remember that I said some time ago to keep the beautiful warm days in your memory? It really helps now and I promise I will not complain ever again. (Pinky finger promise!)

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
I would like to thank those who write letters to the editor. It takes courage to publicly put your name to a letter. You will not always get others to agree with you but you do have the right to your opinion.

I thank Cindy Lenington for writing about the Fort Benton High School concert playing to an empty audience. I did not attend but I also do not attend any football games any longer. This is the first time in 27 years that I have not attended the games. I have many excuses but will not go into that story.

Cindy, can you tell me where were all the parents, grand-parents, and great-grand-parents? Where were all the students from High School? Where was everyone that evening that in the past never missed concerts at the school?

Another letter to the editor was written by John Hankins in response to one written by the Taylor’s letter. He said that he was sorry and the Taylor’s should stop by to talk it over. What a wonderful way to settle problems. There is such a lack of communication these days all over the world. However, we are able to agree to disagree.

So, if you have a problem, try to settle it by talking it out. That is where the “KINDNESS” comes into focus. It is difficult for most of us to be able to talk things out but life is too short. Most of us were brought up to “not make waves”. However, we can change and make our small community more perfect than it already is.

REMINDERS
Veterans Day is next Monday the 11th. We meet at the Veterans Park at 11:00 a.m.

Chouteau County Performing Arts next performance is on Tuesday the 19th at the same time and place as it always has been. You will love Halie Loren. She has a great voice and a sparkling personality. See you there.

Check the Community calendar in the River Press for other events you may want to attend. 

PLEASE BE KIND

DO A GOOD DEED TODAY AND EVERY DAY.

WAKE UP WITH A SMILE AND BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE ANOTHER DAY TO BE KIND AND DO A GOOD DEED.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, POLICE OFFICERS, FIREMEN AND WOMEN, FIRE FIGHTERS, AND EMT’S.

No comments:

Post a Comment