Tuesday, February 26, 2013

View From The Bridge 2/27/13

“VIEW from the BRIDGE”
By Muncie
2/27/13

VIEW LAST WEEK
Talk about being forgetful…I goofed last week.  I forgot to put “What Love Means,” in the column.  I have to tell you that I had a “Bad Hair Day” on Monday.  I am supposed to have the View in by 3:00 pm.  I actually had it completed on Sunday evening with the exception of a few phone calls to verify some dates or some such thing.  On Monday, my “Bad Hair Day,” when I tried to bring up 2/20/13 file, it was gone.  I spend a great deal of time trying to find it, but to no avail.  Therefore, I had to start all over again.  I completely forgot several things that are here below..

AUNT ROSE
I wanted to congratulate Aunt Rose Rowe for her 100th birthday.  I missed the party, (because I forgot,) but I did visit her on Valentine’s Day at the Missouri River Medical Center.  I always remember when I walked every day, seeing Aunt Rose working on the flowerbeds around the Sunrise Bluffs.  She so loved doing that and she was so good at it.  She gave me a great deal of good advice about planting and maintaining plants and flowers.  I would urge her to sit on a bench with me to rest, and talk.  I am sure I needed the rest more than she did.  I do not remember who said it but I do remember what was said.  “The first hundred years are the easy ones; the next hundred will be a little more difficult.”  GO AUNT ROSE.

WHAT LOVE MEANS
Remember these are quotes of “What Love Means,” to 4 to 8 year olds.
11.   “Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends, even after they know each other so well.”  Tommy – age 6
12.   “During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared.  I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving.  He was the only one doing that.  I wasn’t scared anymore.”  Cindy – age 8

RECYCLING
Next Saturday, March 2nd,  there will be another Recycle Day from 12:30 to 1:30 pm.  Even though the last collection yielded more cardboard, there were about the same number of people who came to the Fair Grounds.  Recycling is a very important project today for the world.  The more you, your family, and your friends recycle, the less trash bags go into the landfill.  Just think about that for a moment. 

I do not have accurate records of my recycling program; however, I had the following experience.  Last summer I was unable to take my newspapers, magazine, and cardboard to Pacific in Great Falls for about six months.  I was putting three bags of trash a week into the dumpster.  Now that I am back to my routine, I have one bag of trash for the dumpster.  Yes, I know that it makes no difference to the Landfill Company, however when the next negotiations came up…there may be some compromise.  I hope that you see the importance of recycling.  It is saving the environment big time.  Recycling also means making use of items that you may be throwing away.  See how creative you can be and tell me about it.  My number is in the phone book.

Talking about phone books reminds me to remind you to turn in old phone books to the Elementary School.  They get money for each book turned in.  You can drop them at the school.  There used to be a container as you went in the door.  I do not know if that is still the case and I will check it out and let you know next week.

Save your Labels for Education and those can be turned in at the Price Rite Grocery Store.  The school gets .10 cents for each label.

DINNER AT THE GOLDEN AGE
The monthly dinner at the Senior Center was on the 19th of February and there were 40 diners.  The dinner was gourmet and we were entertained by Chuck Yeager, who played a fun game with us.  He handled out a sheet numbered from 1 to 10.  There was a space, for song title, singer, era and movie or Broadway show, for each number.  Chuck sang the 10 songs and we had to identify them.  What a great time we had.  Chuck has a great voice and he sang several of my favorite songs.

When we arrived just before dinner, we were given a sheet to fill out to correspond with President’s pictures pinned to the wall.  My excuse for not getting them all was that I didn’t have enough time before dinner.  It really jarred our memories of history.  The second part was to match up President’s names with a description of something they were or had done.  I did not have an excuse for that one because who knew who the shortest President was.  It was a fun evening and a good time was had by all.

TEN MORE DAYS
Yes, it is only 10 more days until Daylight Savings time.  It is almost 6:30 now and it is still light out.  The full moon is on Thursday.  There are 3 weeks until spring.  By that time, it will be almost 8:00 pm and still light outside.  Perhaps you are tired of reading about this subject, however I cannot contain myself.  I love it when we can stay outdoors longer in the evenings.
GOD BLESS AMERICAN AND OUR TROOPS.   

No comments:

Post a Comment