Tuesday, August 20, 2019

View From The Bridge 8-21-19

View from the BRIDGE
By Muncie
8-21-19

THE FAIR
As it was with Summer Celebration, I had such a great time. On Friday morning from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM I volunteered for the Lions Club parking project at the Front St. gate with Connie. We both showed up with our winter coats on. Smart move! (We removed them around noon.)

It wasn’t too busy but there was a steady flow of Fair Goers mostly 4Her’s. I would like to comment here what a wonderful bunch of Kiddos they are. I also had breakfast at the 4H building and they and their parents are amongst the hardest working people I have ever come in contact with. I envy all of you for the life-training you receive being in 4H. You are the greatest.

On Saturday morning Connie and I did the same routine without winter coats. It was a tad bit busier but was a much nicer day. The time just flew by and it turned up that I stayed on for the 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. shift because Harold was going to manage it himself. I really enjoyed the afternoon listening to his stories about the “old days”.

On Sunday my shift was from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and it went very quickly. Many people already had their parking tickets and were returning to either have lunch, check on their ribbons, or waiting for the Demolition Derby to begin.

All in all and as always it was wonderful to connect with old friends and neighbors. It should happen more often.

TIME FOR THE LIONS STORIES
The 1st funny story was watching Connie chasing a $1.00 bill down Front St. The wind was blowing a bit strong and the money flew out of her hand. Off she went chasing it until I could no longer she her. (I can only see for about a half a block.) She returned with money in hand and you can be sure she hung on tightly after that incident.

Story No. 2 was about my being stung by a wasp last year at the Front St. entrance. The pipe where the wasps had a nest was removed. The Lions Club purchased a clip-on to repel yellow jackets, hornets, and wasps, and nary a one of those pests ever entered the area.

Joann Streit told me that she sprayed around the area that morning because she remembered that I had gotten stung last year. What a beautiful act of kindness and senseless act of beauty. Thank you, my friend.

And last but not least was Story #3. Two boys about 5 and 7 years old rode up on their bikes with each one holding a $1.00 bill. The insisted on paying the walk-in cost. That also shows the character of the younger generation.

Friends and I had discussions about how when at a retail store and either entering or exiting there is a Mom there with a young child. She is either teaching them or they already have learned to open the door “for the older lady”. We say thank you and they say you are welcome. What a wonderful world.

REMINDERS

CHOUTEAU COUNTY PERFORMING ARTS
Randy will be at the Farmers Market to sell seasons tickets for the upcoming concert series.

The first performance will be Tuesday, October 8th with Abbacadabra. You do not want to miss that one as it is a tribute to the Abba Singing group. They were a special group in our hearts during the 60’s and 70’s. See you there.

LIONS GARAGE SALE
This event is coming up in September but this is a reminder to call the numbers in their ad for pickup. They have room to store it now that the Fair is over.     

The Lions are asking for items from the entire area of Chouteau County since our proceeds are spread in the entire area.

This organization would like to have you come and join us. It is a fun, hard working group and not too much is asked of you.

The meetings are listed in the Community Calendar. Check it out and we hope to see you next meeting.

FORT BENTON ROCKS
Two weeks ago when I first heard of Fort Benton Rocks, I checked on them and found that they had about 50 to 60 members on Facebook. It was checked for me again last Saturday and there were 158 and 2 more came in before we disconnected.

By leaps and bounds this popular program is growing. It spreads kindness. Keep up the good work!

DAR
I was able to attend the dedication on Sunday at 11 o’clock for the Daughters of the American Revolution. I was very impressed with all the members that came from all over Montana. I sat next to a woman and we talked about history. I mentioned that I knew an Indian saying, “If you don’t know where you came from, you can’t know where you’re going.” She said, “I have that hanging in my office.”

Be sure to read Ken Robison’s story about the history of the blockhouse. It is an exceptional piece of history.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, POLICE OFFICERS, FIREMEN & WOMEN AND FOREST FIREFIGHTERS AND EMTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment