Tuesday, September 17, 2019

View From The Bridge 9/18/19

VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE
By Muncie
9/18/19

LIONS HUGE SALE
Unbelievable! There were thousands of donated items that have been collected or delivered in the last few weeks. Understandably I did not work for the set-up all week long but those special Lions did a miraculous job of setting up dozens of tables and organizing each table. The whole building was filled to capacity and if you could not find a treasure somewhere there, then you did not get to the Fairgrounds last Saturday.

This every other year event was first called a yard sale obviously because it was outside. The last few years it took place inside because of the fear it may rain.

The shoppers were constant and what they liked most of all is that whatever treasure they found was paid for by donation. The Lions did not price anything and only asked that the shopper give what they thought it was worth.

It was a wonderful day seeing family, friends, and neighbors. Everyone had to time to reminisce and chat about how their summer went.

There were shoppers from Great Falls who were the first to arrive. Treasure hunters came from Havre, Big Sandy, Loma, Geraldine, Highwood, and others who were complete strangers. Several said that they looked forward to this particular sale every other year.

So, the biggest of KUDOS go to those hard working Lions who not only set up but who are there again today (Sunday) breaking it down. You are so devoted and have more energy I envy. My only job was to sit there and collect the money. I was there at 8:3o a.m. and had to beg off at 4:00 p.m. The rest of the crew had to stay until 5:30 p.m.

Actually, a good time was had by all. Hope to see you in two years from now.

STUNG AGAIN
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about being stung while collecting for parking tickets at the Chouteau County Fair and then again while walking on the Trail. I gave you a hint that was given to me to put sanitizer on the sting and the pain would go away. I did not hear about that until 2 days after my sting but it worked.

A young woman reported to me at the sale. She had 2 children with here and she said that her little boy was strung and she remembered reading about my “household hint”. She was excited to tell me that it worked.

There were a lot of bees around us at the sale but fortunately no one was stung. I was told many years ago that bees were too busy preparing for winter to bother stinging anyone. (Ha Ha!) I was very happy because I did not have my spray bottle with me. I am wondering how many people and children get stung each year?

BACKROADS OF MONTANA
Yes, the Crew was here Saturday morning to start filming. Two men from Backroads were at Tracy and Olivia Larson’s house at 7:30 in the morning to film Olivia getting ready for school. They then tagged along while Tracy walked Olivia to the Fort Benton Elementary School. They filmed at the school, at the Library, and somewhat along Front St.

They wanted to interview me but I resisted. Grandma Theresa Sparks talked me into it and said they would be at my apartment at 3:30 p.m. They were not able to meet that schedule.

Tracy called me that evening and said that they would be here at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. I could not accommodate that time because of volunteering for the Lions sale. When Randy went to pick up our lunch, he saw them on the street. He suggested they come to the Fair Grounds but that never happened. Oh well! They never got the cookies I had for them.

They will let Tracy know when the show will be aired. It will be several months but wouldn’t it be nice to see it in the middle of winter?

When I got home Saturday afternoon, I watched Backroads. They aired the story about Wayne Hampton. What a great story that was. It makes me sad to know that Mary Ann is gone and Wayne is living in Chester. Those friends and neighbors who were given Wayne’s hand crafted instruments have such great treasurers. They will be passed down for generations with the story of Wayne.

CINNAMON ROLL DAY
These delicious rolls made by Betty are something you do not want to miss on the 27th of this month. It is always on the last Friday of the month…for your calendars. The turnout has grown the last few months since I mentioned it here in the View.

It is a breakfast luncheon with two kinds of eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, and toast with the cinnamon rolls. Oops! I forgot to mention good hot coffee with a bottomless pot. It is also a great social hour so come on and join those of us who are regulars. See you there and I’ll remind you again next week.

HUMANA & JILL
On Friday the 27th, Jill will be visiting at the Senior Center. She will be there from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and doing a presentation about Medicare. This is the time to ask all those questions you never seem to get answers for. I will remind you again next week.

SHONKIN PARTY
I know this is well in advance but I would like you to put the date on your calendar.

Shonkin Town has a lasagna dinner party and auction every year around the end of October to raise money to make improvements on their Community Building.         

So, Friday, October 27th is the date to put on your calendar. That is close to Halloween so put on a costume and I’ll see you there. There are prizes for that effort.

There will be more info about reminders and time so keep checking because you do not want to miss out.

One other reminder from Shonkin is that their Woman’s Club meeting will be held Sunday, October 13th at 5:00 p.m. in the Community Hall.

THANK YOU
I would like to thank all of you who wished me a happy birthday. I did not know that Bethany was going to announce it to the world. But, as I scootered downtown on Thursday and Friday I had friends shouting Happy Birthday. It also happened on Saturday at the Yard Sale.

The best part was that none of you believe that I am 90 years old. (What an ego boost that is.) You are all just too kind. My Boys came from back east along with my daughter from Great Falls, in June to celebrate. My Morger family made last weekend really special.

I did not want a party because I do not see well nor do I hear well. Most of you know that when you say hello to me you must tell me who you are as my central vision is the problem. You all have been very kind to me and I want you to know how much I love each and every one of you. You are all so special and I am in my happy place. (I have a t-shirt with that written on it.)  So again, thank for giving me another year here in Fort Benton where I want to be.
BE KIND.

WEAR RED ON FRIDAYS.

VOLUNTEER WHEN POSSIBLE.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, POLICE OFFICERS, FIREMEN AND WOMEN, FIRE FIGHTERS, AND EMT’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment